Modern gray living rooms can appear to be cool and formal if you don’t take care to infuse the room with a bit of personality! After all, it’s the little touches that make the biggest difference in your living environment. Even if you’re not interior design savvy or don’t see yourself as a decorator, you can still add your own signature to your modern living room. Here are some gray living room ideas to help make your space cozy and personal:
- Add plenty of textiles such as throw pillows, rugs, blankets, and window treatments. Most spaces tend to look stark and impersonal because they don’t contain the everyday touches that a normal person would incorporate into their home. Patterned pillows and throw blankets are in essence the perfect way to add a touch of coziness to your living room furniture. When in doubt, consider all of the things that you normally use when lounging on the couch or hanging out in your living room.
- Let your personality shine through when you decorate your living room. Many people display family photos, which is a good way to start, but take it a bit further. Do you collect something? If so, display your collectibles in a prominent location. Do you have any hobbies? Displaying things that are of interest to you, can make a modern space feel more lived-in and personal.
- Add color variations to your modern gray space. Many people opt to be too monochromatic, and that can be a mistake. For example, gray is a color that mixes well with green, yellow, and brown. By choosing a color palette that’s too limiting such as black or white, your home can start to feel too cramped and impersonal.
- Choose lighter shades of gray instead of going all-out and opting for dark hues. Going lighter is a better option as it can make your living room appear larger and it can ensure that your furniture doesn’t feel overwhelming. Additionally, if you add a couple of large length mirrors to your wall, it can help you create space and depth, making your living room feel vibrant and cozy.
- Never forget the importance of a fireplace– real or fake! Any home can look and feel cozier when you incorporate a source of heat in the middle of the room. Not everyone is into the idea of installing a wood burning stove, but there are plenty of faux fireplaces that work well in a given area and don’t run up your electricity bill. Even if you don’t need the heat, don’t forget the importance of incorporating ambiance. For an added bonus, try flameless candles throughout your living room!
Hopefully, these gray living room ideas have given you a good idea of what you can do with a space. The important thing is to always put your own personal stamp on your living room! Whether old or modern, a well thought out space can always make you feel at ease and cozy.